fbpx
skip to Main Content

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile Photo Mitchell 3 weeks ago.

• Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Participant
    esti

I was suffering from mild depression and mild anxiety. More anxious that lead to depression. Anyway considered going for therapy but didnt have the emotional energy for it. So i spoke to my doctor about taking meds. It took about 6m but with tweaking I’ve bh been feeling great. Originally the goal was to get strong enough on meds to go for therapy but if I’m feeling fine on meds should i still pursue therapy? In the past I found therapy to be so draining. I used to call it open heart surgery.

Profile Photo
    Participant
    alwaysworried

This is an interesting and good question, oh the comparison to open heart surgery, identifiable on occasion. Therapy is not easy but it shouldn’t be consistency that painful. If you imagine going back and speaking about things would be so painful perhaps there is stuff that’s really important to speak about? I’m from the belief that therapy can benefit everyone but if you feel you unready to go now and you’re functioning as well as you’d like then give yourself that time and space. Also why not ask your doctor what he/she thinks? Also, maybe this conversation would help you Extended AMA Discussion with Me 🙂

Profile Photo
    Participant
    esti
    Topic Author

In response to alwaysworried's post #6105:

thank you for chiming in. Its gave me what to think about

Profile Photo
    Participant
    Chavy

In response to alwaysworried's post #6105:

I agree with @alwaysworried, but i want to add that it might be helpful not viewing therapy as an all-or-nothing thing. Meaning, you may find that you love it and are really benefiting from it. Or, you might find that although therapy is for everyone and anytime, you might find that you don’t feel you need it now and that it’s not necessary. I would go in with an open mind and give a try. Speak to your potential therapist, share your concerns and see what s/he has to say.  Wishing you the best!!

Profile Photo
    Participant
    Mitchell

In response to Chavy's post #6109:

I agree with both of you. I think therapy can have large benefits compared to medication alone, especially in the long term. However, it shouldn’t feel like a struggle every time, and if it’s that the case that’s probably something you should talk about with your doctor or potential therapist.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!