fbpx
skip to Main Content

Which topic interests you more?

Shall we discuss how the concept of having Emunah (faith in Gd) while suffering from anxiety or should we discuss the difference between mental illness and mental health (if there is one) and what the nuances between them are in regard to everyday life?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Emunah and Anxiety
  • Mental Illness vs Mental Health

This topic contains 36 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile Photo Mitchell 3 weeks ago.

• Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile Photo
    Participant
    avacad0

I too admire and am so inspired by Barianna for coming out in the open about her struggles. It is such an important and vital thing for our community. So many people are suffering in silence convinced that they are the only one and that noone else is going through the same things. If only more of us would be open about our struggles. I too dream of the day that I can share my past and current suffering with my friends and family. But as of now I need to keep it confidential. I crave for the understanding and compassion and the final recognition that although i appear so put together and strong it is with a very high price that I came to where I am. I have this silent conversation with myself how the people around me would apologize for the trauma and neglect that I have gone through.

Profile Photo
    Participant
    barianna
    Topic Author

if the worry/anxiety gets in the way of being able to function, that’s when we need help to deal with it.

Rivka, this is such a good way to define it. I really appreciate this definition as it reaffirms my confidence in taking the proper steps in getting help.

@suave i totally agree about the therapy thing. I would not be as connected to my emotions and self aware had i not gone to therapy before i got married. I would not be able to be the best mother i can possibly be without my current therapy sessions. A therapist cannot be replaced by a loved one, rather a therapist can enhance relationships with loved ones!

Profile Photo
    Participant
    Verified Pro
    Joshua Tal

In response to barianna's post #6090:

@rivka really hit the nail on the head. It comes down to functioning and the line is different for everyone. Taking a step back and looking at your life, the different areas, and asking the questions – Am I functioning at my highest capacity or is my mental health getting in the way? Am I the best parent, child, worker, caregiver, etc. I can be? Or even simpler, am I in too much suffering? Each persons’ lines will be different

Keeping it confidential is a good thing, @avocad0. I, too, admire @brianna with her strength to talk publicly, however it is not for everyone and for every issue. But talking about your problems and your emotions is a universally beneficial experience, whether public or private (it literally gives us a dopamine rush any time we get attention). That’s another way you know you are ready for therapy, when you feel like you have no one you can talk to. Psychotherapy is held under very strict confidentiality rules, with very few exceptions, and can give you a safe outlet.

This discussion is not a substitute for professional medical or psychological advice or treatment. It is for general information purposes. If you think you may have a medical or psychiatric emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Profile Photo
    Participant
    barianna
    Topic Author

In response to Joshua Tal's post #6091:

Joshua is so right.

Many people commend me on my openness, but it does have its drawbacks. First, it seems that the openness allows for random people to give unsolicited and unprofessional advice, as well as welcomes trolling. I’ve come across many people who don’t understand, and it seems as though they have no interest in truly trying to understand.

Forums like these provide a safe space for open discussion, without any risk of personal attack and with support of licensed professionals. I am so happy that this platform exists. It’s going to help so many people.

Its already helped me 🙂

Profile Photo
    Participant
    alwaysworried

Keeping it confidential is a good thing, @avocad0. I, too, admire @brianna with her strength to talk publicly, however it is not for everyone and for every issue. But talking about your problems and your emotions is a universally beneficial experience, whether public or private (it literally gives us a dopamine rush any time we get attention). That’s another way you know you are ready for therapy, when you feel like you have no one you can talk to.

I loved the way you described this, and also that you made it clear that being vulnerable with everyone is NOT for everyone. But it is necessary for everyone to have a someone they can be vulnerable with.

Thanks for a great conversation!

Profile Photo
    Participant
    zissy

I applaud Bariana for her opening up a topic that is so personal and sharing her thoughts and inner struggle..When I lost my son Emunah was one of the biggest parts of me to get affected …then came the anxiety of omg zc are you even a jew ….Forums like these are so crucial..I wish I would have had it then.so I wouldnt have felt so alone in my struggles…bh Ive evolved..but working on anxiety and emunah requires great inner strength and proff help to sort out our emotions…plus hand us tools to make struggles like these manageable. we are not defined by our struggles ..just how we over come them . Peace is always at the end of the tunnel 🙂 Good luck to all !

Profile Photo
    Participant
    Mitchell

In response to zissy's post #6107:

I’m so sorry that you went through that, but I think your faith and optimism is admirable. I agree completely “we are not defined by our struggles”, it’s how we respond to these struggles that shapes us. And it sounds like you’ve been handling this as well as anyone could.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to to reply to this topic. Not a member yet? Register now!